On call, and it's a beautiful Sunday afternoon. Nothing like being stuck in the hospital on a sunny day...
For a long time I have kept a little collection of diverse quotes that are sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, and sometimes are just inside jokes for physicians. Here are a few of my favorites:
- You should not prevent patients from getting well on their own. Sir William Osler
- The patient died of old age -- he just happened to be in the hospital. Anon.
- All postoperative complications begin in the operating room. Larry Carey, M.D.
- Technology is sometimes more advanced than our ability to apply it properly. Anon.
- Despite frantic urgings from the referring physician, avoid operating on dead people. Anon.
- The feasibility of an operation is not the best indication for its performance. Lord Moran (Churchill's physician)
- Always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me. Sir Winston Churchill