Monday, May 02, 2005

SWIMBO Blogging

Weekend's over, back to work, on call, and the searing pain of reentry is just about to hit full force. Over the weekend, I started to post on something from home, when my wife (who has never seen this site), asks the standard wifely question : "What in the world are you doing?" How does one explain blogging, exactly? So, the conversation with She-who-must-be-obeyed goes something like this:

SWIMBO: What in the world are you doing?
Defenseless me: Blogging!
SWIMBO: What? I know there's all sorts of weird stuff on the internet, but what the heck is "blogging?"
Little old helpless me: Uh, it's a place where I can write things down that interest me, are funny or important to me, are important to medical care; I try to direct anyone interested to other good web sites.....
SWIMBO: Why would anyone read what you are writing?
Me (now a little hurt): Actually, I'm not sure. They're bored, perhaps?
SWIMBO: How much does this cost?
Me, the cheapskate: Uh, well, see, it's free. Don't ask me why, somebody somewhere must be making a pile of money, but this part is gratis.
SWIMBO: Can anyone read this? Even my mother?!
Me, now excited: Especially your mother! Anything in particular you'd like me to write about SWIMBO the first?
SWIMBO (irritated): NO!!! Oh, Lord, don't even think about it! Shut that thing down!
Me: Yes, dear. I'll take the trash out now. By the way, is it OK if I keep my blog until your mother decides to get a computer?
"She-who-must-be-obeyed, " or SWIMBO, is how my better half is known in the operating room, as the circulating nurse often has to answer my pages whilst I operate away, unable to get to the phone. It is a marvelous turn of words, drilled into my head while watching "Rumpole of the Bailey" with my father. I only recently discovered that John Mortimer, author of the Rumpole series, had lifted the phrase from Sir H. Rider Haggard's "She." Sir Haggard (no relation to my previous post), who also wrote "King Solomon's Mines," created a character described as "the embodiment of the mythological female figure who is both monstrous and desirable, and deadlier than the male." Why do I feel like I should spend more time on call after reading that last bit?