Monday, June 20, 2005

Old Dad's Day

I had an absolutely wonderful Father's Day with the surglings yesterday. It was a day to remind me, and them, exactly how old I am getting! The sun was shining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky, so we went on a long bike ride....and I was the slowest. After that, they took me to a local audio store and bought me something I've wanted for several years -- a new turntable. After I got it set up, I treated them to the best albums of my college years (Jimmy Buffet, Pink Floyd, Buffalo Springfield, The Band, Jean-Luc Ponty, etc.) The thing that was the most fun was to watch my son stare at the spinning platter and finally understand that these things aren't just "big CDs." To cap off an evening for the old guy, we rented and watched one of my favorite old movies -- Charade. When I was growing up, I wanted to be just like Cary Grant (for some reason, I couldn't carry it off). It's nice to watch a movie that takes its time setting things up; today, it seems that all movies are expected to move along at a "Star Wars" pace.

Thanks to SWIMBO and the surglings for giving me a great day!.