Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Worth Every Penny

Slogging away at administrative duties -- meetings (ugh!; with administrators -- double ugh!!), phone calls, software problems, etc. -- have left me little time between surgeries to do any blogging. In the car, however, I have been able to listen to one of the finest series of lectures I have ever heard. My 20 minute drive to and from work these past several weeks has been enhanced by the fascinating Professor J. Rufus Fears. Prof. Fears is "David Ross Boyd Professor of Classics at the University of Oklahoma, where he holds the G.T. and Libby Blankenship Chair in the History of Liberty." That's all well and good, but for me he is quite simply an outstanding speaker and teacher. I have had the good fortune to have a friend who has purchased several of the "Great Courses" offered by The Teaching Company, and loaned me Prof. Fears' "The History of Freedom." I cannot recommend it highly enough, and plan to purchase my own copy for the surglings to watch before they run off to get their minds polluted at college.