Friday, March 24, 2006

FWIW

While waiting for the littlest surgling to finish lacrosse practice today, I caught the last part of Hugh Hewitt's show on the radio. Normally on Fridays he has Emmett of the Unblinking Eye on to talk about movies, and generally it's pretty funny. But, today, Emmett must have been taking in a double feature, so Mr. Hewitt was reviewing a list of the "15 Essential Protest Songs" put out by Context magazine.

OK, I'm not much of a "protest" song kind of guy. I think Secretary Rumsfeld and I would get along swimmingly, thank you very much, and I suspect the same could be said for Mr. Hewitt. But, music has its own charms, so I kept listening.....until MUSICAL BLASPHEMY was committed. On the list was one of my favorite songs -- For What It's Worth, by Buffalo Springfield -- and Mr. Hewitt said it was really just a drug song! Am I the only one that caught that? Judge for yourself -- here are most of the lyrics:

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
I think it's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
Acutally, when you hear the words "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" and " Singing songs and carrying signs; Mostly say, hooray for our side," I think this is the one so-called protest song that really expresses the difficulties of disagreement, rather than today's rent-a-mob staged events.

Oh, well --- now that I got that off my chest, it's time to fire up the turntable and spin a little Pink Floyd and sip a little vino. And I'm positive that Mr. Hewitt would not feel Another Brick in the Wall is a protest song, either.