Saturday, June 10, 2006

LOL

Finally, a day off. Of course, that didn't keep me from waking up at 5:30, with DogSurg shoving his wet nose in my face, wanting to go on his morning walk. After a great hike in the hills, I sat down with the paper --- and honest to goodness had coffee spewing out of my nose in laughter while reading this great retort ( in response to the letter "Where have the hippies, their idealism gone" -- about 1/3 the way down the page here). I do not know who Martha Rudman is, and certainly don't envy her early life experiences, but by does she speak with authority on the subject. I grew up in the immediate aftermath of the so-called "hippie age," graduating from high school in 1980, and grew weary of hearing -- from teachers, from the TV news and programs, from the newspaper, from EVERYONE -- that the "60's generation" was the only group that mattered, or would ever matter. At the same time, I could see the same things that Ms. Rudman so aptly points out:

I was one of those hippies, and I can guarantee you we didn't change one thing, unless you consider wearing long hair even if it cost us jobs, rarely bathing even if we had fleas, and constantly mooching off of friends, relatives and strangers to be "social consciousness, awareness and regime change."
It has always seemed rather childish to me for that group to lay claim to all sorts of "changes" which were well on their way prior to, and continued long after, their communal temper tantrum -- while at the same time downplaying the major trash left in the street after their parade (drug use with resultant disease, just to name one). It's worth the time to read.