Sunday, October 08, 2006

ACS Chicago -- 1

Well, I guess that I'll steal a page from Professor Reynolds and try something new (for me). I'm here at the McCormick Center in Chicago, which is rapidly being transformed into a surgical showcase for the 92nd Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons. They have set up a nice "Internet Cafe" in the exhibit hall, and hopefully I can give anyone that's interested an idea of what's happening day-to-day.

I have to admit, however, that I often find the activity behind the scenes to be at least as interesting as what actually happens in the meetings. It is fascinating to see how quickly an enormous, empty room can become filled with state-of-the art exhibits. Behind me a small army of people are erecting temporary walls, laying carpet, wiring huge video screens, etc. -- all of which are designed to catch the eye of the general surgeon who is roaming the hall in a stupor after listening to a few hours of (sometimes monotonous) lectures.

We'll see what tomorrow brings in terms of the "new and exciting." For now, it's time for me to find some famous Chicago pizza....