Friday, July 31, 2009

ὕβρις

Buffoonery is generally easy to spot -- it's just that when it is the "emperor" making an ass of himself, few will call attention to the fact that he has no "clothes," or more specifically, no clue. I view buffoonery as a form of hubris (ὕβρις) begging for ridicule. From one of my favorite movies:

Emperor Joseph II: Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect.

Mozart: Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?

Without a doubt, that is my favorite line of an outstanding film, and it makes me giggle even now. Present day buffoonery, however, gives me heartburn --- though "Gates-gate" has gotten more press attention, the following is no less egregious:
"Right now, doctors a lot of times are forced to make decisions based on the fee payment schedule that's out there. ... The doctor may look at the reimbursement system and say to himself, 'You know what? I make a lot more money if I take this kid's tonsils out.'"
Like I said, buffoonery. Which few tonsils did you have in mind for us to leave in, Majesty Mr. Obama?

Because there is always a deep well from which to draw upon in le cinema,

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."



Perhaps it is time for the people of this country to borrow a line from Dean Wormer to say the "emperor has no clothes:"
Arrogant, ill-informed, and condescending is no way to lead the country, sir.